Thursday 14 June 2012

BLUE saw U - Take 6

Blue saw U Russell Square

What an amazing week in terms of meeting other blue bags. There were loads about in London. So many in fact, I began to wonder if the National Convention of Blue Bags was drawing near. Every road I went down seemed to have blue bags happily going about their business. Like this guy, enjoying the sun today in Russell Square Gardens, which just so happens to be one of my favourite places to hang out.
If you are ever nearby, I recommend the Cafe in the Garden on a nice day, and there is the Brunswick shopping centre just round the corner as well. Although, if you floated too far up the Brunswick you may run into a Waitrose bag before too long. Now I am not one to judge, but as bags go, they are a snobby bunch. There is an air of bitterness about them as well, a feeling I have encountered time and again amongst my friends who work in retail. Sadly, plastic bags are no longer the preferred mode of carrying purchases. At supermarkets there is the option of buying a bag for life. (For those of you who are unsure about what a bag for life is – it is a plastic bag with handles that regular plastic bags can only dream of having). Also in most retail outlets, paper bags are now preferred, with more upmarket retail shops preferring elaborately decorated, card bags. These lucky bags can expect to be used many times after the initial purchase. These are middle class bags!
What? You ask. Class? You ask. Despite our cosmopolitan society, bags indeed have class. I was created for use on a Market stand, and from that initial purchase, didn’t ever expect to be used again. If I was lucky I might have been used to pick up dog poo; a fate that so many of my friends have endured. Luckily I was employed for greater purpose and I am now one of the few bags who have broken away from my working class roots. Not that I am ashamed about where I came from, it’s just bags can all too easily slip through the system and end up like these forgotten souls, sprawled across the green at Euston Station.

Blue saw u Euston Station

Unfortunately, it is these layabouts that give the rest of us bags a bad name...rubbish!    
However, it is the paper usurpers that really make me angry. So often good plastic bags have been replaced by a paper counterpart, only to be brought out from the store room during the sales! The indignity! Keep an eye out for an interview I have lined up with one of these paper bags. Let it never be said that Blue the blue bag doesn’t give all bags a voice!
N.b The National Convention of Blue Bags is actually held on the first Saturday in August

No comments:

Post a Comment