Sunday 27 May 2012

A challenging concept

Blue the blue bag British Museum

So the sun is out and has been all week in the capital! In fact, it got dangerously hot as I sat in front of the British Museum. The trouble with being made with such thin plastic is that you can easily end up melting in the heat. Literally rather than figuratively! The Museum was brilliant as per usual; I spent most of my lunch hour drifting around the Middle East rooms, marvelling at the dazzling Oxus treasure and Persepolis Reliefs. In the second picture I am sitting in front of a cast taken from the Persian palace at Persepolis, which dates between 470-450BC. Now, I hate to personify myself, but I can't help thinking that my bum looks pretty huge in this picture.
Blue the blue bag Persepolis



Apart from my continued work at a well-known publication, this week also saw my investment in a piece of editing software known as Portrait Professional, an amazing program that literally lets you change your face. If you fancy having your eyes further apart, your nose longer, your hair a different colour then it can be done. The only problem I came up against was the fact that it kept asking me to locate my nose, which for obvious reasons I found impossible. However, I was dazzled by the results. My eyes were bright, my blue plastic was bluer than usual, my creases were smoothed out and my smile was wider.

I showed my efforts to Pierre, in the hope of getting artistic approval, but I was brutally shot down. He said that the picture didn't resemble me in the least and I wouldn't be able to pass it off as myself. I pointed out that this didn't stop the majority of people on facebook correcting and touching up their own images, or indeed, within the very industry in which I work.                                                                                                                                   
Thankfully Pierre didn't have any answer to this, which was just as well as I was tired of arguing with him. We had just spent twenty minutes arguing about his identity. He bizarrely tried to convince me that he was a ‘concept’, rather than an object. Now, I am willing to go along with most ideas, but the argument got personal when he challenged me about wasting my life sat at a computer screen.

This I found unfair. Words are my creative outlet. In my opinion, if a bag wants to work in retail that's fine, if they want to work on a market this is equally ok, and if they want to work in publishing, then they should be allowed to do so, without the fear of being ridiculed simply because they don't put paint to canvas!

Needless to say, I won't be speaking to the ‘concept’ that is Pierre for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment