Wednesday 2 May 2012

Letsby Avenue

Blue with blue duster

If you hadn't already noticed, May is now upon us!  Despite the flood warnings, I decided to welcome in the spring with some spring cleaning. By happy coincidence I located a blue feather duster, which more than helped to spur on my good intentions. However these intentions were dangerously tested when I wafted over my garden wall on a seasonal spring breeze, not an experience I would wish for twice. Indeed, I came dangerously close to snagging on the branch of a tree, far beyond the reach of help.  Such are the dangers of house work! So, despite having found this brilliant blue aid, I have to admit that I gave up at the first attempt.

As I procrastinated, my thoughts turned to curious place names. I remember reading last week an article about the twinning of towns in Perthshire and Oregan. The motivation behind the twinning seems to be the nature of the names of these towns; Dull and Boring. Although the twinning hasn’t been officially adopted, it is hoped that it will not be long before the Dull residents have some Boring Canadian counterparts. Brilliant news on all fronts! For the full article check out:
This news prompted me to look into place names within the UK that could be equally twinned. I apologise in advance to all readers of a sensitive disposition, and also to those that appreciate the finer points of wit!  Juggs Close in East Sussex could be happily twinned with Ogle Close in Merseyside or equally with Grope Lane in Shropshire. Hooker Road in Norwich would make a nice partner to Horneyman in Kent, although Nether Wallop in Hampshire should avoid being twinned with Happy Bottom in Dorset as the former would definitely not constitute the latter.   
A few other of my personal favourites included; Splatt in Cornwall, Stop and Call in Pembrokeshire, and The Bottoms in Hertfordshire. But far above all the rest is Blue Balls, in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Admittedly not in the UK, but a place I have every ambition to visit as soon as possible.
For now I shall continue my daily routine, which is organised to the last minute. Since I am not working this week I have written down an hour by hour plan, and I fear that my time for blogging is coming to a close. Whilst the dust may be settling on the window sills and mantles around me, the life of Blue the blue bag runs like clockwork. So Letsby Avenue* cleaning!
(* a road in Sheffield)

No comments:

Post a Comment